Monday, January 21, 2013

Take Your Clothes Off!

I'm an introvert - I like my quiet time. I don't do well with small talk - the concept eludes me. And I still manage to have fun and enjoy the crazy busy noisy chaos that is International Mr Leather (and sometimes Mid-Atlantic Leather). How? By having a purpose, a reason, and a direction for conversation. Most of the year, I sit in an office with a computer, doing non-social activities to fund the adventure that is my life. But once or twice a year, I leave the computer behind and become a retail salesperson for one of my dearest friends. Carlos is the designer and tailor of CJ's Leather. He creates the designs and patterns, orders the hides, and makes the garments. What you see in his shop is the work of his hands. It is quality, made in America by a local business that supports his community in more ways than I can count. And when I'm in his shop, the crowds disappear into a dull roar in the background and the only thing that matters is the customers that come in to shop. Here is where I feel safe. I am with my friends. I care about what I'm doing. I want people to look good, to feel sexy, and to enjoy their purchase. In this shop, I have a reason to talk to people, to connect, to ask what they're looking for and help them find the right fit. Every year at IML, I get to dress someone in leather for the first time. They find themselves looking in a mirror and seeing, for the first time, a new sexy image that fills them with confidence. That's an amazing experience to share.
The crowds ebb and flow, there are times we cannot slow down to eat lunch, and there are strange moments of stillness in the middle of the afternoon where we check the racks and try to clean up the shop area, and in those moments, I find the peace that keeps me sane.
And then there are the perks...in order to put the leather on, their clothes must come off. Some men are shy, others are NOT so shy. Some will use the dressing room, and others just shuck their clothes right there. Do I appreciate a beautiful body? Oh yes. Can I remain professional and deal with finding them the right garment? Yes. But I do enjoy it? Oh hell yes.
Customer: I'd like to try on this armband.
Staff: Take your clothes off!
Customer: But it's just an armband...
Staff: Yes it is, but you're going to want to try on everything in the shop, and this just makes it easier for everyone.
Customer: If you say so....
And they do it. And, in most cases, they do want to try on a shirt, a pair of pants, a vest, chaps, a harness, and we help them find the right fit and design for their body. Then everybody's happy. But I am in Denver for 51 weeks out of the year. When I say "Take your clothes off!" they just look at me and walk away. That's the magic of IML - for four days out of the year, they do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment