Tuesday, January 1, 2013

I Give Up

2012 was a long year. Not just the 365.25 days of it, but it felt like I was in an emotional wringer for most of it.
Started a new job in January, and while I am very thankful for the job and the income and the opportunities, there was a lot of frustration with the work environment and the organization and many factors out of my control. But that all ended when I was laid off due to budget constrainsts at the end of November. My attitude is good, though. There will be another job.
There were medical issues, both in my life and other's lives, and that makes my heart ache.
Some of my close friends have serious financial difficulties, and that makes me sad.
My grandfather crossed over into his next great adventure this last year. The lessons I learned from him and my grandmother, who crossed over about two years ago, have shaped my life and my heart and I would not be the man I am today without their influence and love. I miss them.
Other friends left this life as well - some after a long battle and other startlingly fast. I miss them.
So as the days grew shorter and shorter all through December, and the nights longer and colder, it was easy to let the darkness creep into my thinking as well.

And it was easy to forget all the joy and gladness that I found in 2012.
What were those?
I got to start a new job! That was fun. So was getting paid!
Medical issues can be helped with sensible diets, moderate exercise, and modern pharmaceuticals.
My grandfather is no longer suffering in his 93-year-old body that was rapidly wearing down.
I can still pass on the things my grandparents taught me to anybody who will listen.
My job isn't making me crazy anymore!
I have wide open opportunities for employment!
I love my family. It's wierd, and we're a little strange, and I love them. They love me too.
My pup and I took a little trip to Tulsa to have an adventure, and came back as International Puppy and Trainer 2012! That's an adventure that keeps on growing!

So as I look at the year in review, eating black-eyed peas to invite good luck into the year to come, I also look at my good friend Brent's column "Why Don't You Just Give Up?" Go read it now.
I was in the audience at IML when Brent delivered this speech, and it earned a standing ovation. He rocked it.
So I'm going to spend the next week looking for things I need to give up, things that hold me back, and, oh yeah, a new job so I can finance this great adventure called my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment