Friday, July 19, 2013

High School Days

If I knew all I know now, would I take that knowledge and go back to high school?
Nope.
I was not happy in high school. There were some serious secrets I was keeping from the world. But that was the early 1980's, and things have changed.
Now there are gay-straight alliances, clubs in high school where people can talk and learn and be themselves and not feel so alone. While it's not a perfect system, it's certainly better than NOTHING, which is what I had growing up in a small town in the bible-thumping south.
So when my friend asked me to come and participate on a panel discussion at a local high school's GSA meeting, I was happy to go.
It was their first attempt, so they invited almost 20 people and hoped that a few would show up. Well, almost everybody showed up - the panelists nearly outnumbered the students.
As a panel, we spanned an age range from 24 through 60+; sporty, academic, engineers, teachers, leatherfolk, drag queens, and parents of grown children too.
We introduced ourselves down the line and told a little piece of our personal stories. Then there were some basic questions that bounced around, and some Q&A from the students. With a panel that size, that was all that could happen in the 90 minutes they scheduled for us. The kids were amazing - they were engaged and respectful. The faculty was supportive and even the principal attended, spoke her full support, and declared no tolerance for bullying.
There were refreshments afterwards, and more visiting among everyone present.
Based on respect and confidentiality, that's about all I'm going to say.
But what really hit me was this - those kids are alive and hopeful and honest about their sexuality. At their age, I was barely living, despondent, and lying to myself and everyone around me. I dated a really sweet girl, but knew it would never go anywhere. I spent my time in church knowing that they would never accept me. I entertained thoughts of dying because it would hurt less than living.
And honestly, if the 2013 me had ever visited the 1984 me, grownup me would scare the crap out of high school me. I don't know if I would have believed that I could be happy, not be alone, find love, be at peace with my Creator, live publicly, and experience such joy. But I am, and I do. And I hope that what we did will inspire those kids to be the best and most amazing humans they can be.
Thank you for the opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment